In November 1923 around 50 Brixham tradesmen met to agree actions aimed at improving the town of Brixham; a hundred years later that tradition still continues.
Brixham Chamber of Commerce has taken the opportunity of its centenary year to celebrate the individuals, organisations and businesses that work to make Brixham a fantastic place to live. The Chamber Centenary Awards made £15,000 of grants available to qualifying projects and the winners were:
- £1765 to YES Brixham for renovation to their building on Bolton Street.
- £1765 to Shoalstone Pool for renovation of the Victorian shelters.
- £1470 to Brixham Heritage Museum for school holiday activities
- £2000 to Brixham Theatre towards equipment to show live West End shows
- £2100 to Play Torbay to provide additional Forest School places for home schooled children
- £1215 to Brixham in Bloom towards their ongoing projects to keep the town looking fantastic
- £1315 to Brixham Library to host Saturday Brunches for the community
- £1895 to Brixham FC towards their project to construct changing facilities
- £1475 to the Brixham Town Band to help retain their venue to provide music tuition for another year
Aaron Dowling, Treasurer of Brixham Chamber, who came up with the idea and then spent countless hours developing and managing the Awards said ” Huge congratulations to the winners of our Centenary Awards. £15,000 has been given back into the Brixham community and our Brixham Chamber of Commerce Centenary year celebrations are complete.
“I can’t thank our independent judging panel enough for so diligently reviewing and selecting these worthy projects. Thank you Elizabeth Devonport, Jim Parker, Jacqui Shaw, Elizabeth Pippett and Emily Pearson for your hard work.
“Thank you to all of you who attended our Gala Ball, to the Berry Head Hotel for hosting us for the evening, and the Chris Thomas Band for great entertainment, It was a brilliant night!
“Most of all, thank you to the Brixham community for your continued support of the Chamber and for all the hard work you do that makes Brixham a great place to live”.